- What Type of Collagen is Best for Wrinkles?
- The Ten Best Collagen Supplements for Wrinkles
- #1. Manna Liposomal Collagen
- #2. 1st Phorm Collagen with Dermaval
- #3. Primal Harvest Collagen
- #4. Bubs Naturals Collagen Powder
- #5. HUM Collagen Love
- #6. Thorne Collagen Plus
- #7. Clean Simple Eats Collagen
- #8. Mary Ruth’s Liposomal Collagen
- #9. Alaya Naturals Multi Collagen Powder
- #10. Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- The Bottom Line
When you look in the mirror, do you see signs of aging that don’t make you feel confident or happy with your appearance? This could be anything from an uneven skin tone to fine lines and wrinkles. While some degree of aging is inevitable, there are steps that you can take to turn back the hands of time while also preventing wrinkles, sagging and dry skin.
Collagen is a major component of your skin. It plays a big role in the hydration of your skin, its elasticity and how strong your skin is. Unfortunately, our bodies will start to produce less collagen in the body when we reach the age of 30. That production continues to decline as each year goes by. That’s why most dermatologists and other skin care professionals recommend that you develop a good anti-aging skincare routine at some point in your early 30s (though earlier is perfectly fine as well).
It’s a lot easier to prevent wrinkles than it is to treat them. Once they’ve formed, you’re somewhat limited with what you can do to get those wrinkles smoothed out. If you’re not open to things like fillers and cosmetic procedures, a preventive approach is the way that you’ll want to go.
For the purpose of this article, I want to talk to you about the use of collagen for wrinkles. From a dietitian’s perspective, collagen is something that can be found in our diet, but it’s pretty hard to get enough from food alone. This is especially true as we get older, and our collagen production drops quite low. Low enough for us to see changes in our skin quality and how our body functions.
I've talked a lot about collagen supplements for joint health, and collagen for healthy hair because there are a lot of benefits that go along with it. Let’s talk a bit about the different types of collagens that you can use for the treatment and prevention of wrinkles. I also want to outline ten different collagen supplements that you can consider for a boost in your skincare routine. We have a lot to cover, so let’s get started.
What Type of Collagen is Best for Wrinkles?
There are 28 different types of collagens. The most prevalent types that are used for supplementation include collagen types I, II, III, V and X. If we’re talking solely about collagen for the use of skincare and anti-aging benefits, you’ll want to make sure that you’re using a supplement that contains collagen type I. Type I collagen is what makes up approximately 90 percent of the body’s skin, hair and nails. You’ll find it mostly in marine and bovine collagen.
Type III collagen is also beneficial for the skin. It can improve elasticity and strength, allowing your skin to look more youthful and wrinkle free. I would recommend using type III for the prevention of wrinkles.
Can Collagen Take Away Wrinkles?
As a protein tissue, collagen helps to rebuild the structure of the skin. As we get older and we have less collagen to work with, we may notice dryness, dullness and eventually the formation of wrinkles. Collagen supplements help replenish what has been lost and reduce common skin issues associated with aging. The key is using collagen frequently enough for it to make a difference. Using it once or twice per week won’t suffice. However, a daily dose of collagen will prevent wrinkles while also tightening the skin so you should see a reduction in the wrinkles that you already have.
The Ten Best Collagen Supplements for Wrinkles
I hope that I’ve convinced you that collagen really is the secret to youthful and glowing skin. If you’re interested in trying out a supplement to reduce wrinkles, here are my top 10 recommendations.
Manna Liposomal Collagen is made using both types I and III collagen, which I explained earlier, are both beneficial for skin health. Collagen has been sourced from grass-fed bovine without the use of hormones, antibiotics or steroids. Designed to strengthen and support the health of your skin, Liposomal Collagen Peptides by Manna utilizes NanoFuse technology to increase bioavailability.
This product comes in liquid form, which is why it’s my number one choice. I don’t mind the powdered collagen supplements, but it’s a whole lot easier to simply pour out a dose of Manna Liposomal Collagen and be on your way for the day. It tastes fine right out of the bottle, but it’s also nice to mix it into a smoothie. Maximum benefits occur after about 90 days, so give it an opportunity to change your life.
- Contains collagen sourced from grass-fed bovine
- Boosts the health of your hair, skin and nails
- Has the potential to reduce fine lines, wrinkles and dryness
- Protects your bones
- This is a bioavailable form of collagen that your body can properly absorb and utilize
- The money-back guarantee included may not provide you with enough time to really see how this product will benefit you
FREE Shipping with link below!
1st Phorm produces very high-quality products that are easy to absorb and highly bioavailable. A low-temperature formulation process is used to create 1st Phorm Collagen with Dermaval. Five different forms of collagen are included for one of the most well-rounded amino acid profiles you’ll find from supplements of this type.
Dermaval has been added, which is a phytonutrient complex that boosts elastin production in the body. Increased elastin will help reduce wrinkles, support bone health, boost hair growth and even protect your joints as you get older. In my field, this is definitely a product you want to have on hand because of how well-rounded it is.
- Comes in an easy to mix formula
- Contains different types of collagens
- Delicious chocolate flavor
- No artificial ingredients or additives have been included
- Can be used to boost the growth of your hair in addition to promoting healthy and youthful skin
- The price point is a bit on the higher end of the spectrum
FREE Shipping with link below!
This ultra-premium collagen peptides powder from Primal Harvest contains grass-fed, pasture-raised hydrolyzed collagen (types I and III). It’s a very pure item that doesn’t contain any antibiotics or hormones. You can use it to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, while also supporting healthy bones and joints. Made in a GMP-certified facility, this is a very safe product to consider if you want to up your collagen load.
I like this product from Primal Harvest because even though it's powdered collagen, it is made in an easy-to-mix formula that doesn’t have any unpleasant smells or taste. You can do just about anything with it, including adding it to your morning cup of coffee or tea, or adding it to an afternoon smoothie. You’ll never know it’s in there (but your skin will).
- Contains grass-fed bovine peptides
- Optimal for skin, hair and joint health
- Includes types I and III collagen for optimal skin health
- A very affordable option
- Instant mixing formula
- This powdered product and its bag design can get a little messy when you’re in a hurry
Bubs Naturals Collagen Powder is a complete collagen supplement that is able to replenish any and all amino acids that your body is missing. Promoting recovery from the inside out, you can utilize this product to achieve healthy and youthful skin while also boosting the health of your hair, nails, joints, bones, etc. Made from hydrolyzed, grass-fed and pasture raised bovine, Bubs Naturals Collagen Powder is free of many of the major allergens and does not contain any gluten.
A full amino acid profile will provide you with the most benefits. Bubs contains more than 17 health-restoring amino acids, including lysine and valine, which are essential to our daily lives. Bubs also cares about the environment, so their collagen is sourced from farms in Uruguay and Southern Brazil where their carbon footprint will be minimal.
- Comes in different package sizes, including small travel packs
- Offers daily support for hair, skin and nails
- Excellent customer service department
- Soluble and amino-rich
- Slightly on the expensive side
HUM Nutrition is an excellent supplement company that offers a lot in the way of products that enhance your beauty but also benefits your body. Their Collagen Love product has been formulated with clinically proven nutrients that are tested to confirm that each product is pure and potent. Collagen Love is made using types I and III collagen, which are necessary for youthful skin. Vitamin C has also been included to enhance the natural production of collagen. Lastly, hyaluronic acid will boost the hydration of your skin, so you develop fewer wrinkles as you get older and experience less dryness.
This is a product that I appreciate because it not only contains collagen, but HUM has put a lot of thought into the other ingredients that can benefit your skin as well. I use hyaluronic acid on a regular basis, and it’s completely changed my skincare routine for the better. I experience less breakouts, fewer wrinkles and better hydration.
- Contains added vitamin C, which is beneficial for skin health
- Supports the elasticity of the skin
- Contains potent antioxidants
- Reduces the appearance of age-related wrinkles
- Protects against free radical damage
- This is collagen in capsule form. That might not be a con to you unless you are interested in being able to choose your dosage amount
Thorne’s Collagen Plus is another product that I like because it contains ingredients that are known for benefiting the skin. It’s not something you may want if you’re looking for a basic collagen supplement that will cover all of your bases, but it’s fantastic for its anti-aging properties. Containing pure collagen as well as nicotinamide riboside, white peach extract and a black and red currant polyphenol blend, Collagen Plus by Thorne can achieve results in just four weeks. Each serving contains 13 grams of grass-fed collagen peptides that are hormone free. This product contains both type I and type III collagen.
- Offers the ability to achieve fast results
- Moisturizes the skin from the inside out
- Increases elasticity of the skin
- Promotes cellular repair
- Evens out your skin tone
- Not for everyone as this isn’t just a collagen supplement. Thorne Collagen Plus also contains other botanical ingredients that are beneficial for your skin.
Clean Simple Eats has a number of collagen products to choose from, each providing an exceptional number of benefits in each dose. From blackberry lemonade flavored collagen to blue Hawaii coconut flavored collagen, this is definitely a fun way to increase your collagen intake. You can purchase this product in bag form, and there are convenient travel tubes that make it easy to get your collagen intake anywhere you go.
Regardless of the flavor you choose, you can get approximately nine grams of collagen per serving from types I, II and III. Clean Simple Eats sources their collagen from grass-fed bovine. When taken daily it can help improve the quality of your skin, support optimal joint health and strengthen your ligaments and tendons. The brand claims you can achieve age defiance and beautify and firm the skin with their complete collagen supplement.
- Tons of different collagen flavors and types of products available
- Turn back the hands of time with just one scoop of collagen
- Gluten free and dairy free
- Nine grams of collagen protein in each serving
- Sourced from grass-fed bovine
- Contains stevia leaf extract
- Contains non-organic “natural” flavors
Mary Ruth’s Liposomal Collagen is a liposomal product that makes it easy for your body to absorb the collagen fully while making it available throughout your body. Along with vegan collagen, Mary Ruth’s Liposomal Collagen also contains five different amino acids and vitamins C, E, zinc, copper and silica. It comes is a unique maple hot cocoa flavor.
You get the highest quality ingredients possible when you shop with Mary Ruth’s. This product is no exception, with liposomal technology ensuring nano-sized micelles are protected throughout the digestive process so your collagen isn’t destroyed too early. Your body will be able to produce more collagen naturally on its own, so you look and feel younger.
- Contains amino acids as well as nutrients
- Has a unique maple hot cocoa flavor
- Vegan friendly
- Made in a GMP-certified facility
- Utilizes liposomal technology for optimal bioavailability
- Not a nut-safe product (contains almond butter)
- I noticed that the amount of sugar in one serving is not listed on the label of the product, so you don’t know how much you’re getting
Alaya Collagen is a product that contains multiple sources of collagen peptide blends, so you benefit in a number of ways. One dose contains types I, II, III, V and X, sourced from high quality chicken, fish, bovine and egg collagen. Also included in a proprietary hair, skin and joint support blend that can help reduce wrinkles and other signs of aging.
Alaya has opted to source multiple types of collagens in order to mimic the natural production of collagen in the body. This means you get a more well-rounded spectrum of benefits. Other ingredients like MSM, glucosamine and chondroitin enhance the absorption and benefits of this product.
- Contains multiple types of collagens, including I, II, III, V and X
- Also includes MSM, glucosamine and chondroitin in the formulation
- Unflavored and does not have any strong odor
- Grass-fed, free-range and wild-caught
- Free of hormones
- Cross contamination of tree nuts and other major allergens
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides includes collagen in its formulation, as well as hyaluronic acid and vitamin C to provide you with benefits for your hair, skin nails, bones and joints. This is a very potent product with 20 grams of collagen in each serving. That’s one of the highest amounts that I’ve come across while writing this article.
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides dissolves easily in liquid, so you can add it to things like coffee, tea and smoothies. It comes in different flavors and different forms like one big container or small travel packets. A versatile nutritional profile features 19 different essential, naturally occurring amino acids. Even Jennifer Aniston uses this product, and we all know how youthful she looks well into her 50s.
- Provides 20 grams of collagen per serving
- Whole 30 approved
- Doesn’t contain any artificial sweeteners or additives
- Contains hyaluronic Acid and vitamin C, both of which are beneficial for the skin
- Not safe for major allergens due to potential cross contamination
The Bottom Line
Collagen supplements pack a lot of punch when it comes to anti-aging benefits and being able to reduce wrinkles. If you’re looking specifically to achieve a more youthful glow, then I recommend using one of the collagen supplements that I’ve outlined in this article. There are certain ingredients that are wonderful when applied topically, but there’s nothing better than providing your body with what it needs internally so you’re thriving. Your skin will show how healthy you are when you’re using collagen regularly.
Should You Try Collagen to Help with Wrinkles?
If you’re interested in using collagen to help with your wrinkles, it’s time to look into some of the products that I’ve talked about in this article. Many of them are affordable and very safe, providing you with a way to look younger and healthier.
Keep in mind, I’ve covered collagen products that are to be consumed for maximum benefits. There are topical products that are made for anti-aging purposes, but as a dietitian, I’m a firm believer that you are what you eat. If you really want to look your best and have wrinkle-free skin, I recommend that you utilize collagen from an internal standpoint.