- Can Eye Supplements Improve Vision? I Asked an Optometrist
- What Vitamins Should You Take for Blurred Vision?
- What Are the Best Eye Vitamin Supplements for Blurry Vision?
- #1. Mindbodygreen eye health+ (Best overall vitamins for eye health)
- #2. Eyetamins Vision Support
- #3. 1st Phorm Eye Care
- #4. Mary Ruth’s Eye Care Gummies
- #5. Future Kind Vegan Lutein & Zeaxanthin Eye Health Gummies
- #6. Hello Fling Lutein Vision Gummy Vitamins
- #7. Physician’s Choice Eye Health Support
- #8. Codeage Eye Vitamins
- #9. MitoQ +eye
- #10. VisionMD Complete Vision & Eye Support
An important part of aging is making sure that the body has all of the nutrients that it needs to continue to function optimally. When we are deficient in certain nutrients, this can compromise anything from cardiovascular health to eye health. Our eyes being one of our main five senses, we want to retain our vision and clarity.
The eyes require a delicate balance of nutrients in the body just like other areas do. Deficiencies can result in blurry vision, dry eyes or you could be at a higher risk of developing something like macular degeneration. Blurry vision is an uncomfortable condition that can make it difficult to see what’s going on around you. This could even put you in a dangerous situation if you’re driving. While there are many causes of blurry vision, there are a number of things that you can do to improve your eyesight.
Vitamins may not be able to completely cure what’s going on with your eyes, but they can often slow down the progression of a problem or improve something like blurry vision. In this article, I’ll be helping you look at some of the best eye vitamins for blurry vision. Many contain the important vitamins like A, C, D and E, which are all ideal for optimal eye health.
Can Eye Supplements Improve Vision? I Asked an Optometrist
I had the pleasure of interviewing Dr. Dana Spearin, a member of the American Optometric Association and Optometric Physicians of Washington. Dana and her husband Luke run Luke Knows, a parenting and family blog. I asked Dr. Dana Spearin if eye supplements could improve vision, here's what she had to say:
“Some vitamins like lutein and zeaxanthin can help improve vision, especially in dark conditions (i.e. driving at night). They can reduce glare and increase color contrast sensitivity. Lutein and zeaxanthin can also help keep the retina healthy over a longer period of time and decrease our risk of developing macular degeneration and early cataracts. If these chronic ocular conditions are postponed or don't occur it keeps you seeing better for longer.”
This is good to hear, because we have some really good products on this list that have these vitamins in them.
Doing my own research, the supplements that are on today’s market can really do more for your eyes and body than ever before. Using not only the best nutrients possible but also high-quality ones, you can ensure that your eyes have what they need to see clearly and focused.
By way of vitamins and antioxidants (and often even herbal ingredients), your blurry vision can be a thing of the past. You may not be able to correct your nearsightedness or farsightedness that you’ve had all your life, but you can improve your quality of sight in many other ways.
I did extensive research on my own, which we'll get to later, but I wanted to ask this question to the experts as well.
Dr. Dana Spearin said the following:
“If the blurry vision is caused by dryness, sometimes 2,000mg of fish oil (omega-3 fatty acids) can be helpful. 2,000mg of fish oil helps with dryness because most dry eye is caused because the meibomian glands (tear glands) aren't producing good oils. Fish oil is an anti-inflammatory and helps the glands produce good tears. If you are producing good-quality tears your vision won't fluctuate due to dryness.”
Based on my research, let’s take a look at some of the other important vitamins that you should confirm are in an eye-based supplement.
Beta-carotene can be found in foods, and a large portion of what we consume will contribute to our eye health. If you have a deficiency in vitamin A, this could cause damage to your retina and cornea that will result in blurry vision. Your eye wouldn’t be able to process what you’re seeing clearly. Vitamin A is also an important nutrient that affects how well you can see at night. If you do a lot of nighttime driving, you’ll want to make sure you’re supplementing with vitamin A.
There are eight B vitamins in total that are part of the B-complex family, but B6, B9 and B12 are the most important ones for vision. They can help break down the acid homocysteine, which can increase your risk of blurry vision and macular degeneration. A deficiency in B-complex vitamins could also disrupt the optic nerve signals that are being sent to your brain.
Cataracts is an eye condition that is very likely to cause blurry vision. It affects 24.4 million Americans that are age 40 and older. When a cloudy spot develops on the lens of your eye, this can lead to blurry vision and even blind spots. Vitamin C has powerful antioxidant properties that can prevent free radical damage the affects the eyes.
We all know that the sun can affect our eyes if we were to look at it, but powerful vitamin D from the sun can actually help protect our vision, keep them moist and prevent blurriness. It also has anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation can occur when your eyes are dry, and dry eyes can lead to blurriness.
Now it’s time to take a look at some of the specific products that can help improve blurry vision and prevent a whole host of eye conditions. These are my personal favorites based on quality and the reputability of the brands.
Mindbodygreen eye health+ includes potent eye-supporting ingredients such as astaxanthin, lutein, zeaxanthin, maqui berry, and saffron. This is a plant-powered formula that offers you daily retinal and macular support that can reduce blurriness and increase your visual sharpness. This product also has the ability to increase antioxidant density while supporting ocular blood flow. It’s truly a supplement that offers all kinds of eye support. It even reduces light sensitivity and protects your eyes against strain if you’re staring at a screen for a long time each day.
This is an excellent supplement for eye health that really covers all of your bases. It’s not just for blurry vision, but rather offers protection from all kinds of eye-related conditions. It’s a bit of an investment, but can you really spend too much on your vision?
- Increases your visual sharpness and focus
- Prevents eye strain
- Adds photoprotection and blue light filtering protection
- Offers retinal supports
- Can decrease your chance of developing macular degeneration and cataracts
- This isn’t a cheap supplement. A one-time purchase retails at $70 for a one-month supply
- Minimal reviews are listed on the brand’s website
Eyetamins eye health gummies are designed using ingredients that are part of the notable AREDS2 clinical trial. This is a study done in 2013 that focused on age-related eye diseases and how certain nutrients can affect and prevent these conditions. Main ingredients include lutein, omega-3 fatty acids and zeaxanthin. Other nutrients include vitamins C and E, saffron, zinc and European bilberry. This product can help protect your eyes from the blue light emitted by your computer and smart technology screens. It also promotes better quality sleep so your eyes can heal and be protected at night. Eyetamins Vision Support supports your visual reaction time, improves hydration and supports healthy depth perception.
- Promotes better sleep, focus, and protection of macular pigment
- Supports a healthy vision processing speed
- Contains nutrients that support blue light filtering
- Supports depth perception
- Helps you recover from photo stress
- It can take three full months to see the maximum benefits of this product
- The company states that these ingredients are sourced from all over the world, but they’re not very transparent about where that is, or the standards used
This eye supplement from 1st Phorm strives to help you maintain your eye health and vision as you age. Protecting you from harmful blue light that comes from your computer and your phone (we all spend quite a bit of time on these devices), your retina health can be improved so that you experience better signal communication between the eyes and the brain. Ingredients such as lutein and zeaxanthin are included in this formulation to help protect your visual acuity and create a protective layer on the eyes that can prevent blurriness, macular degeneration and even cataracts.
Also included in 1st Phorm Eye Care are vitamins C and E, which help protect your eyes against damaging free radicals. This product is made with high quality ingredients that can provide you with ample eye support as you get older.
- Provides potent antioxidant support
- Improves your overall eye health
- Decreases blue light damage
- Prevents visual deterioration from aging
- An affordable product
- There aren’t many reviews or ratings listed on the 1st Phorm website, but this product does have a 4.9 star rating out of five stars
Mary Ruth’s Eye Care Gummies help you protect your eyes thanks to beneficial ingredients such as lutein and zeaxanthin. These phytonutrients can help protect your vision as you experience normal changes associated with aging, while also helping to filter blue light from your devices.
You get about a month and a half of doses out of one single bottle of this product, which I think is nice. Most supplements only give you about 30 days' worth. It’s a gummy supplement, which may or may not be preferred by you. Some people like this option instead of swallowing a large capsule.
- Promotes blue light filtration
- Protects your vision
- Contains important phytonutrients
- Priced at under $20, making it one of the most affordable eye supplements out there
- Vegan friendly
- Contains stevia extract
- This is a gummy supplement, which isn’t preferred by everyone
- I wish the Mary Ruth’s brand was a little more descriptive on their website. Not a lot of information is provided on what went into creating this formulation or why certain ingredients have been used.
Future Kind Vegan Lutein & Zeaxanthin Eye Health Gummies include eye-protecting benefits from ingredients such as lutein zeaxanthin. The main ingredient in this product is Lutemax® 2020 Marigold Flower Extract which has all three beneficial macular carotenoids. This product can protect you from prolonged exposure to indoor lighting, sunlight and screen light from technology devices. It can also offer extensive support from oxidative stress, reticulum stress and inflammation. Future Kind Vegan Lutein & Zeaxanthin Eye Health Gummies can protect your retinal tissue in just two tasty mango gummies each day.
- Supports eye health
- Has a delicious and natural mango flavor
- Gummy design
- Helps protect your vision
- Reverses signs of aging relating to your eye health
- Contains non-organic natural flavors
- Contains coconut, so it is not tree nut safe
Hello Fling worked with world-renowned researchers to develop their Lutein Vision+ gummies. This is a delicious product that is designed to support healthy eyes as you age. Formulated with a blend of Lutein and Zeaxanthin that are derived from Marigold Flower extract, this product is an all-natural way to achieve optimal eye health.
The dietary pigments in Hello Fling Lutein Vision Gummy Vitamins are collected in the macula of the eye where they can perform some pretty substantial blue light filtration. They can also protect underlying retinal cells. Extensive studies have been performed to better understand the use of
lutein and zeaxanthin for the prevention of macular degeneration, and the results are promising.
- Provides a daily dose of vision support
- Offers macular degeneration support
- Tasty orange and apple flavor
- Relatively affordable, priced at under $30 per tin
- Contains lutein and zeaxanthin
- Four grams of sugar are included in each dose
- Contains non-organic natural flavors
This Eye Health Support product from Physician’s Choice helps you maintain healthy vision while reducing eye strain and improving your visual processing speed. It contains the award-winning Lutemax, providing damage control for your eyes. Instead of allowing things like UV light and oxidative stress to affect your vision, Physician’s Choice Eye Health Support protects your retinas. It even helps to regulate your circadian rhythm, so you sleep better at night.
Main ingredients in this product include vitamin C, vitamin E, copper, and zinc, as well as Lutein and Zeaxanthin. Included in this formulation is also folate, vitamin B12, bilberry extract, grape seed and Bioperine® Black Pepper Extract for optimal bioavailability.
- Supports the three macular carotenoids
- Contains patented ingredients
- Clinically proven formulation
- Vegan friendly
- Contains ethically sourced ingredients
- Reduces eye strain
- Contains a number of other herbal ingredients to support eye health. They’re beneficial, but you may be looking for a basic vitamin-focused product
These Codeage Eye Vitamins contain important nutrients such as Vitamins A, C and E along with zinc, lutein, astaxanthin, zeaxanthin and meso-zeaxanthin for optimal macular support. Also included are phospholipids, marigold extract, bilberry fruit extract, saffron and omega-3 fatty acids. This product is based on the AREDS 2 formula to provide ample eye health support.
Manufactured in a GMP-certified facility in the U.S.A., Codeage Eye Vitamins are made from high quality ingredients and a great deal of research has gone into formulating this product. You receive a two-month supply with each bottle, and this product doesn’t contain any GMO-based ingredients, gluten or soy. It’s also vegan friendly.
- Macular health support complex
- Based on the AREDS2 formula
- A multivitamin and mineral blend of ingredients
- Vegan friendly
- Third-party tested for quality assurance
- Two capsules are required for each dose
#9. MitoQ +eye
MitoQ +eye is a powerful blend of ocular health ingredients such as Pycnogenol®, MirtoSelect®, Lutemax 2020®, vitamin E and Zinc. It is also enhanced with MitoQ to support your eye health, clear vision and even offer blue light filtration. This is a New Zealand-based product that has been rigorously screened to ensure that it doesn’t contain any banned substances. Not only does it protect your eye health, but it can also naturally boost your energy levels, increase your stamina and improve the health of your mitochondria.
- Supports your vision
- Offers blue light protection
- Includes immune support
- Improves your recovery time after a workout
- Easy to swallow capsule design
- Made without artificial ingredients or harmful chemicals
- This is a much more versatile product that offers a lot of other benefits. While it’s a great formulation, you might want something more basic.
VisionMD’s Complete Vision and Eye Support supplement utilizes specific ingredients that have been recommended by the National Eye Institute as well as the AREDS2 and CARMIS clinical studies. Its three main ingredients include VisionMD’s trademarked ingredients: Lyc-O-Mato® lycopene, EVTene™ mixed carotenes, and XanMax® with lutein and zeaxanthin. This is a revolutionary formula that can support your eye health while also protecting your long-term vision. Vitamin E and astaxanthin have also been added to protect your eyes against oxidative cellular damage while protecting your visual acuity.
- Supports optimal eye health
- Protects against age-related eye issues
- Formulation takes into account visual acuity
- Based on the AREDS2 formula
- Boosts brain function
- You have to subscribe to a six-month supply to save a substantial amount of money on your monthly supply. The price goes from $44.99 for a one-time purchase down to $38.99 when you invest in a six-month supply.
If you’re suffering from blurry vision, it’s always a good idea to consult an experienced ophthalmologist to help rule out any other serious conditions. If blurry eyes seem to be simply caused by aging or other common eye health issues (like nutritional deficiencies), then an eye health multivitamin may be the first place to start. Hopefully the products that I’ve talked about in this article have given you a place to start. Each of these formulations have been precisely made to provide you with the best eye health support possible. Even if your doctor prescribes something else to use for your blurry vision, it’s worth asking if you would benefit from an eye health supplement as well.
If you’ve been experiencing blurry vision and all other issues and health conditions have been ruled out, then it’s time to try an eye vitamin for blurry vision. These supplements can not only help make your vision appear clearer, but they offer all kinds of other great eye support as well. Choosing a versatile formula will help you now, but it can also help protect your eyes as you get older and are at risk of more serious complications.