- How do you take care of blonde hair after swimming?
- What Type of Shampoo Should Swimmers Use?
- The Best Shampoo for Swimmers With Blonde Hair
How do you take care of blonde hair after swimming?
Gliding through the water is exhilarating until you realize that the chlorine, you’re exposing your hair to has the potential to change its color, texture and quality. Blonde hair tends to be very susceptible to the effects of chlorine because of its light color. The negative effects are even more profound if you have treated your hair. Its porous nature increases the exposure to chlorine.
Prior to swimming, you should rinse your hair to remove oils and dirt from it. This is to help protect the pool, but it can also protect your hair while you’re swimming. After you’re done swimming, there are some steps you should take to protect your blonde hair. This includes washing it with shampoo that will remove all of the chlorine as well as conditioning it to replace any lost moisture.
The best-quality shampoo that swimmers should use after getting out of the pool should be something that effectively removes chlorine and other chemicals from their hair. Also, hydrating ingredients will replace any moisture that has been lost, so your blonde hair doesn’t feel dry, brittle or like straw.
The products that we’ve chosen for our list of the top shampoos for swimmers with blonde hair encompass a few different qualities. First and foremost, we’ve taken into consideration the ingredients that are used. Introducing more chemicals to your hair isn’t going to improve its quality. We prefer formulas that use natural ingredients to strengthen, hydrate and cleanse.
We also care about brand transparency. It’s important that a company is very clear about what they use in their products and why, where ingredients come from, what kind of testing is used to confirm a product works and the real-life experiences that customers have described when using a product.
Price is something we also take into consideration. However, you often get what you pay for. It’s not ideal to simply purchase a product based on price alone. Investing in a high-quality product will produce luscious, blonde locks of hair regardless of how much swimming you’re participating in.
When you look for a shampoo for swimmers with blonde hair, make sure that you’re choosing a product that is designed with your specific hair type in mind. You’ll see that there are products made for different hair colors. Swimmer’s shampoo for blonde hair may not be as effective for a brunette. Also, look for features that address any specific issues you have with your hair. This might be dryness, brittle hair, split ends or dull color.
Let’s take a look at some of the best shampoo options for swimmers with blonde hair. We’ll discuss the formula used for each of these products, as well as some of the pros and cons that we’ve discovered.
Trihard Swimmers Shampoo is designed to remove any saltwater and chlorine that have built up on the hair and scalp. It’s a versatile product since it covers both swimming in a pool and swimming in the ocean. Key ingredients can help hydrate your blonde hair and reduce an itchy and flaking scalp. Trihard Swimmers Shampoo even cools the scalp to reduce any potential sweating after a swim.
Natural Red Algae
Red algae have a unique chemical structure that contains large amounts of antioxidants. It can fight back against impurities.
Dead Sea Minerals
Magnesium chloride is easily absorbed through the skin and can penetrate the hair. It stimulates growth in the hair follicles while improving the overall quality of your hair.
Trihard has included vitamins A, C and E, along with aloe and chamomile, in their shampoo. These ingredients can soothe an irritated scalp and decrease inflammation.
- Includes natural ingredients such as red algae and Dead Sea minerals.
- Removes any residual scent of chlorine.
- Works for both chlorine and salt water.
- Peppermint cools and soothes the scalp.
- Aloe hydrates, soothes and heals the scalp.
- Some people report feeling itchy from these products. You may want to try a little bit of the shampoo on a small part of your body before washing your whole scalp with it.
- It’s expensive, but not the most expensive swimmers' shampoo that we’ve come across.
- This product can dry out your scalp, depending on how you react to the ingredients.
You can purchase Trihard Swimmers Shampoo on the Trihard website. The cost is currently $19.98 for a one-time purchase of one bottle (8.45 fl. Oz.). You can save 5% by purchasing 2 bottles or 12% by purchasing 3 bottles.
Malibu C Swimmers Shampoo can promote better shine, swing and body for blonde-haired swimmers. It removes various elements from your hair that have built up from pool use. This includes chlorine and copper. It can also help you retain moisture, so your hair is better hydrated. Blondes are very prone to green-tinged hair after swimming, and Malibu C Swimmers Shampoo addresses this without the use of sulfates.
The keratolytic action of allantoin can treat a scalp that is dry and itchy because of swimming. It’s very gentle, potentially reducing any redness and inflammation that you’re experiencing.
Provitamin B5 is very soothing to the scalp, but it is also very beneficial for increasing the amount of hydration that your dry and brittle hair experiences. It helps your hair hang onto that moisture, so chlorine and salt water don’t have such a negative impact.
Flax protein is an essential ingredient for blondes who want to retain bright and vibrant hair. This ingredient also helps retain moisture.
- Can bring hair back to a softer texture after being exposed to chlorine (when used regularly).
- Reduces green hair
- Free of sulfates
- Has the potential to retain natural oils on your hair and scalp.
- Contains artificial fragrances
- Contains chemicals that cause irritation for some people, such as phenoxyethanol.
- Contains macadamia glycerides, so this product isn’t tree nut allergy safe.
Malibu C Swimmers Shampoo can be purchased on the Malibu C website for $17.
Blu Atlas Swimmers Shampoo is made using a gentle formula of ingredients such as saw palmetto, aloe vera, jojoba protein and vegan biotin. Designed to fortify swimmers' hair, this product from Blu Atlas also cleanses away any chemical residue and salt.
Jojoba oil contains high levels of vitamins A, D and E, along with fatty acids and antioxidants. This oil is designed to mimic the body’s natural sebum production.
Acting as a natural moisturizer, aloe contains vitamins A, C and E.
Saw palmetto has been added to Blu Atlas Swimmers Shampoo to decrease inflammation on the scalp caused by chlorine exposure.
Fortifies and protects blonde hair that has been repeatedly exposed to chlorine or salt water.
- Gentle, yet effective formula
- Made with natural ingredients
- Does not contain any artificial fragrances.
- Comes with a money-back guarantee.
- It’s a little expensive, priced at $25 per bottle for a one-time purchase.
- Blu Atlas is a men’s skincare and hair care brand.
The current cost of a one-time purchase of Blu Atlas Swimmers Shampoo is $25. There is an option to subscribe and save 20% on your order. You can purchase this swimmers shampoo on the Blu Atlas website.
Ultra Swim Swimmers Shampoo features a gentle formula of ingredients that have the potential to gently remove chlorine and chlorine odor from blonde hair (and other colors as well). It can prevent damage to hair when used on a regular basis. Ultra Swim can also remove copper deposits and other oxidized metals that can cause blonde hair to appear green.
Vitamin E and aloe add nourishment and hydration to your hair.
There are other ingredients in this product that add to the cleansing and hydrating effects of this product, but some of them are known to be irritating and chemical-based.
- Very affordable, priced under $10 per bottle.
- Works well for hair that is affected by hard water.
- Conveniently available for purchase on Amazon.
- Can be used daily
- Safe for hair that has been permed or colored
- Contains sulfates and parabens.
- Contains chemical fragrances.
- Can cause irritation for people who have sensitive skin
You can find Ultra Swim by visiting Amazon.
#5. Paul Mitchell Shampoo
Paul Mitchell is a leading hair care company that sells a number of shampoos, conditioners and styling products. This specific shampoo is formulated to remove residue and buildup from your hair, including that which comes from repeated exposure to chlorine and other pool chemicals.
This is a more traditional type of shampoo product, containing sulfates, sodium chloride, glycerin and panthenol. You will also find other botanical ingredients in this product, such as aloe, rosemary extract, jojoba, white ginger and algae extract.
- Affordably priced
- Made by a reputable hair care company
- Washes away impurities like chlorine, iron and minerals.
- Reduces buildup
- Great for blonde hair and other shades as well.
- You may need to wash your hair more than once to completely get rid of any residue or buildup.
- Contains artificial fragrances
- Contains sulfates
You can find Paul Mitchell Shampoo on a variety of websites and in retail stores. The cost on Amazon is currently $15.50.
Zealios Swim and Sports Shampoo can be used for blonde swimmers' hair. However, it has also been formulated to cleanse and hydrate hair after working out, playing sports, etc. It contains natural ingredients that will strip away any chemical or dirty buildup while adding moisture back in. It can also protect and treat the scalp with ingredients such as coconut oil.
Aloe and sunflower oils hydrate hair.
Vitamin B panthenol is included to rejuvenate dry, brittle hair. It can also prevent split ends and restore shine.
Coconut oil hydrates and protects your scalp.
- Has a mild, citrus smell.
- Safe for color-treated hair (including blonde hair)
- Can be used by both men and women.
- Contains natural ingredients
- Cleans your hair without the use of harsh chemicals.
- Paraben free
- Slightly expensive, priced at $35 per bottle.
- Contains almond oil, so this is not nut allergy-safe
You can purchase Zealios Swim and Sports Shampoo for $35 on Amazon (a 32 oz bottle).
This is a set of two products from Solpri. First, you have a swimmer's shampoo and body wash that cleanse away chlorine and other chemicals that you don’t want on your hair. You follow that up with the second product, which is an amino conditioner. This is a gentle product that should be safe for both kids and adults, even those who have sensitive skin.
Vitamin C can support collagen production, which helps strengthen your hair.
Helps nourish and heal the scalp and skin.
Restores moisture, so your hair is better hydrated. You may also find that aloe helps reduce any split ends that you’re experiencing.
Amino acids can strengthen your hair and skin.
- Addresses both your hair and skin.
- Comes with a separate product that adds moisture back to your hair.
- Has the potential to reduce a green tint on blonde hair.
- Made with natural ingredients
- Works well on sensitive skin
- Mild fragrance
- You have to use two separate products, which can take more time in the shower. It also takes up more space in your gym bag.
Solpri Swimmers Shampoo can be purchase on Amazon for $32.99 (for both bottles of product together).
There are a variety of shampoo products that are safe and beneficial for blondes to use. If you’re not interested in purple shampoos, there are platinum shampoos that act as a special type of toning shampoo that will remove yellow tones from your hair.
If you’re experiencing green-tinted hair from swimming, look into a product that specifically advertises ingredients that can remove this effect of chlorine.
If you swim on a regular basis, you’ll usually find that your regular daily shampoo isn’t working very well to keep your hair clean, hydrated and bright. If you’re blonde, you’re prone to a number of hair issues that are caused by swimming.
You should rinse your hair before swimming. There are products you can apply to your hair that will protect it from chlorine or salt water. You can also opt for a swimmer’s cap to keep your hair protected from the water.
When you are out of the water, use a clarifying shampoo to cleanse your hair. Leave-in treatments and special swimmers shampoos contain hydrating ingredients that will rejuvenate your blonde hair and keep it looking healthy.
Chlorine has the potential to turn blonde hair a shade of green.