- Should I Take Fiber If I Have Diarrhea?
- Which Fiber Is Best for Diarrhea / Loose Stools?
- The 10 Best Fiber Supplements to Help with Diarrhea
- #1. Colon Broom (Psyllium Husk)
- #2. Opositiv GOGO Fiber Gummy Vitamins
- #3. Ombre Rise Prebiotic
- #4. 1st Phorm Multi-Fiber
- #5. PrebioThrive Gundry MD
- #6. Amy Myers MD Prebiotic Fiber Complete
- #7. Metamucil 4-in-1 Fiber Supplement Powder
- #8. Zuma Nutrition Arabinogalactan (Prebiotic Fiber)
- #9. Athletic Greens
- #10. Thorne FiberMend
- Buying Guide and What to Look For
- The Bottom Line
Most people assume that increasing your fiber intake is something you do when you are having a bout of constipation. After all, fiber can promote smoother bowel movements. That might make you believe that you should be avoiding fiber if you’re suffering from diarrhea. In fact, those frequent, rushed trips to the bathroom can actually be improved with fiber as well.
There are different types of fiber, one which is more beneficial for diarrhea than the other. There are also supplements and products that contain fiber which are used primarily for diarrhea. This article will focus on the basics of taking fiber for diarrhea as well as some of the best supplements that are out there.
Should I Take Fiber If I Have Diarrhea?
If you’re experiencing diarrhea, you may want to consider lowering the amount of fiber that you’re eating to about 10 grams per day just for the time being. This slows down your bowel movements so there is time for everything to firm up. However, you can use a fiber supplement to reset your GI tract and reduce your diarrhea as long as it is formulated with diarrhea in mind. If a product has a high composition of insoluble fiber in it, this is something you’ll want to stay away from to prevent your symptoms from getting worse.
Which Fiber Is Best for Diarrhea / Loose Stools?
There are two main types of fiber that you can consume. Insoluble fiber does not break down or change when exposed to water. It goes right through your intestines to your colon, where it will meet the healthy bacteria that live in your gut and go through a fermentation process. You want to avoid insoluble fiber if you have diarrhea as it already speeds up your bowel movements.
Soluble fiber is quite different. It’s soluble in water, so it goes through the GI tract and is fermented by the bacteria there, but it will also take on water. The result is a gel-like substance that will firm up your stools. Psyllium Husk is one example of a soluble fiber that is often added to supplements for diarrhea. It will slow your digestion down and keep things firm.
The 10 Best Fiber Supplements to Help with Diarrhea
It’s time to look at the ten best fiber supplements that can help your body when you have diarrhea. These products contain soluble fiber to firm your stools as well as other beneficial ingredients that can create a more diverse microbiome, soothe the intestinal tract and much more.
Colon Broom is an organic GI-based supplement that promotes digestive relief by helping you cope with bouts of diarrhea as well as constipation. It is powder based and contains fiber in amounts that can promote more regular and comfortable bowel movements. The main ingredient is psyllium husk from the seeds of the plantago ovata plant. This is a soluble fiber that will absorb water from the digestive tract. Symptom relief can be achieved for things like diarrhea, constipation, bloating and gas just to name a few. In addition to better bowel health, Colon Broom can also help you lose weight, maintain healthy blood sugar levels, remove toxins and increase energy. Because it absorbs water once it is in your gut, you’ll feel full for longer periods of time.
Colon Broom is manufactured by Max Nutrition, LLC in Nebraska. The company was created back in 2008 to develop various nutritional supplements for different purposes. The brand currently has items for colon / GI health, protein, creatine, fat burning, wellness and much more.
Read our honest review of Colon Broom to learn more about the product and it's effectiveness.
- Active ingredient is psyllium, which is a soluble fiber that can treat diarrhea
- Gentle on the gut
- A natural and safe product
- Can also aid in weight loss, energy production, lowering cholesterol and maintaining healthy blood sugar levels
- Promotes more regular bowel movements
- Can be used to cleanse the body of toxin buildup
- Contains stevia and non-organic flavors
Opositiv GOGO Fiber Gummy Vitamins are made using inulin from chicory root as its main and active ingredient. Inulin contains soluble fiber that will support regularity and decrease diarrhea when it passes through the small intestine. It will also promote the production of healthy bacteria in the gut, regulate your appetite, support weight loss, decrease belly bloat and increase feelings of satiety.
Opositiv formulates their products so that they can be taken together. While you’re using their GOGO Fiber Gummy Vitamins, you can add in products like their immunity and skin vitamins to achieve whole body health. This is a plant-based product that has a very pleasant orange sorbet flavor. They only contain two grams of sugar per serving. One serving contains the same amount of fiber as three full cups of spinach.
- Promotes better weight management
- Increases the number of good bacteria in the gut
- Increases bowel regularity
- Aids in healthy digestion
- Contains soluble fiber for constipation relief and less diarrhea
- Contains non-organic natural flavors as well as coconut, which could be an issue for tree nut allergy sufferers
It’s important that you nourish the beneficial bacteria in your gut when you’re experiencing issues like diarrhea. Those bacteria are going to work hard to keep things regular, reduce bloating and eliminate gas. This Rise prebiotic powder from Ombre does just that. It increases bowel regularity while keeping you comfortable and healthy. The active ingredients are hydrolyzed guar gum, a prebiotic complex with 2,000 milligrams of Xylo oligosaccharides and acacia.
Ombre recommends that you take their Rise Prebiotic with a probiotic to enhance the effects. While you may see immediate relief from a bout of diarrhea when you first start this product, more consistent results will be achieved over the course of six months when you’re continuing with a regular supplement routine.
- Vegan safe
- Absorbs quickly for fast relief
- Promotes bowel regularity
- Supports cardiovascular health
- Repairs the gut barrier
- Contains just four grams of dietary fiber in each serving
If your diet doesn’t include enough fruits, vegetables and whole grains, then you’re probably not getting enough fiber to keep your bowel movements regular and a proper consistency. 1st Phorm understands the importance of soluble fiber in your diet, which is why they have created this multi-Fiber supplement. It contains psyllium husk, inulin and soluble corn fiber. All of these ingredients can quickly be absorbed into the body to provide effective diarrhea relief and ongoing GI health. Many people also experience healthier glucose levels and fewer cravings when using this product.
You have the ability to determine how much Multi-Fiber you take each day based on your symptoms. You can take anywhere from one to two scoops over the course of the day. You can also mix 1st Phorm Multi-Fiber with a few other products from their lineup that will contribute to better gut health overall. This includes their Opti-Greens 50 and Opti-Reds 50.
- Comes in a few different flavor varieties
- Promotes bowel regulation
- Decreases symptoms of diarrhea
- Controls blood sugar levels
- Increases your daily fiber intake
- Contains stevia and non-organic natural flavors
PrebioThrive was created by Gundry MD using five different potent prebiotics such as agave inulin, acacia gum, flaxseed, galacto-oligosaccharides and guar gum. These ingredients work together to promote better digestion, regular bowel movements and decreased bouts of diarrhea and constipation. It has been formulated to promote an overall sense of wellness. In addition to a more efficient digestion system, PrebioThrive can also make you feel more energetic. While many people are taking probiotics for gut health, the prebiotic product is often overlooked. This is a necessary supplement to add to your gut health routine.
Gundry MD is a very transparent and reputable brand. Their PrebioThrive is a cutting-edge supplement that is made in a CGMP-certified facility in the U.S. and third-party testing is used to confirm the safety and purity of the product. It is a drinkable product that is quickly absorbed and utilized fully by the body. It is free of artificial sweeteners and additives.
- Promotes smoother bowel movements
- Contains prebiotics for a diverse microbiome
- Supports comfortable digestion and bowel movements
- Increases energy levels
- Free of artificial ingredients
- May cause a bit of discomfort when first starting this supplement due to the different fibers included
Amy Myers MD Prebiotic Fiber Complete is a physician formulated product that contains a few different forms of fiber designed to promote regular (and comfortable) bowel movements, encourage the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut and increase energy in the body. The main ingredients include inulin as a beneficial soluble fiber, chicory root, acacia gum, green banana flour and Fibroids, which is a fruit powder formulation.
Amy Myers MD Prebiotic Fiber Complete dissolves quickly and easily in all cold liquids, so you can add it to a plain glass of water, fruit juice, smoothies, etc. Basically, whatever you can tolerate during a bout of diarrhea. When used on a regular basis, you should experience less diarrhea and better gut health overall.
- Physician formulated
- Encourages the growth of beneficial bacteria
- Promotes regular bowel movements
- Firms up bouts of diarrhea
- Unflavored powder can be mixed into a variety of beverages
- Third-party lab tested
- Not many customer reviews are included for this product on the Amy Myers MD website
If you’re experiencing bouts of diarrhea or your overall gut health just feels sluggish, Metamucil 4-in-1 Fiber Supplement Powder can help you get back on track. It traps and removes the waste that is making you feel slow and heavy. Its main ingredient is plant-based psyllium husk and nothing more. You can use it to firm your stools, promote regular bowel movements, control your appetite and aid in weight loss. It can even help you lower your cholesterol numbers naturally and maintain balanced blood sugar. This is a reputable brand that has been producing gut health products since the 1930s.
- Promotes healthy blood sugar levels
- Firms your stools
- Boosts digestive health
- Provides appetite control
- Contains aspartame and artificial coloring
Zuma Nutrition Arabinogalactan is a prebiotic supplement that increases the number of beneficial bacteria in the gut. Most people don’t realize that probiotics aren’t all that beneficial if prebiotics aren’t used as well. Together, these various bacteria can boost immune function, decrease inflammation in the body, fight off parasites and reduce candida overgrowth.
Arabinogalactan comes from larch tree and is one of the most important prebiotics out there when it comes to the growth of Lactobacilli and bifidobacteria. This leads to the development of other beneficial bacteria as well. As a whole, this decreases bouts of diarrhea, constipation, irregular bowel movements, gas and indigestion. Arabinogalactan benefits the immune system by way of the gut, but it’s also a powerful immune booster on its own. It enhances the immune cells in the body that fight off infection. Without this type of supplement, the body can experience poor nutrient absorption, GI discomfort, fatigue, cramping, mood issues and more.
- Increases beneficial bacteria in the gut
- Boosts overall digestive health
- Improves immune function
- Relieves stiffness and pain in joints
- Third-party lab tested for purity and safety
- No reviews are listed on the website for this product
#9. Athletic Greens
Created in 2010 with nutrition in mind, Athletic Greens contains 75 different ingredients that come from things like whole foods, adaptogens, probiotics and more. It’s free of unnatural ingredients and additives. Third-party testing is used to confirm its potency and safety. One scoop of Athletic Greens each day results in the fast absorption of nutrients and other vitamins like A, C, E, B12, biotin and folate. Also included is apple powder, inulin for added fiber, organic wheat grass, alfalfa powder, spirulina and organic chlorella. Athletic Greens has added probiotics, digestive enzymes and adaptogens for gut health. This product can help you get your GI tract in sync, so you experience less bouts of diarrhea and constipation.
- Athletic Greens contains 75 different vitamins and minerals
- A gluten free product
- Free of dairy and other major allergens
- Contains probiotics for optimal gut health
- There isn’t any research that has been done on the health benefits of these ingredients when consumed together, though we know about the benefits that come from using them individually
#10. Thorne FiberMend
Thorne FiberMend is a well-tolerated prebiotic supplement that contains fiber to stimulate the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut. The end result is a healthy digestive system with a balanced microbiome. Because of the soluble fiber blend in Thorne FiberMend, this is a product that works well for diarrhea without causing bloating or gas. The formulation contains a partially hydrolyzed guar gum fiber, rice bran, larch arabinogalactan, apple pectin, and green tea phytosome.
Thorne also offers a gut health test that you can use to get an accurate picture of your gut. This can be beneficial if you’re looking to start with some gut-based supplements but don’t know where to begin.
- Mixes easily with water or another beverage
- Fast absorption rate
- Makes you feel full for longer periods of time
- Gentle on the stomach so it doesn’t cause gas or bloating
- Promotes regular bowel movements
- Decreases diarrhea
- Can be used on a daily basis
- There is a proposition 65 warning for this product that states consuming this product can expose you to chemicals including lead
Buying Guide and What to Look For
Are you ready to start looking for a fiber supplement that you can use to treat and prevent diarrhea? Here's my helpful buying guide that can be used to pick out the perfect product for your needs.
A Fiber Supplement That Actually Helps Harden Stools (Soluble Fiber like Psyllium)
You don’t want to grab any fiber supplement and assume that it’s going to provide you with the proper gut health benefits that you’re looking for. If you accidentally choose a fiber supplement that is largely based off of ingredients that contain insoluble fiber, this could end up making your symptoms much worse. You want to opt for something that contains soluble fiber such as psyllium.
You should shop from reputable brands that utilize healthy, pure and safe ingredients for their products. You can tell if a brand is reputable if they provide adequate information on their product line, explain in great detail the amount of research that goes into their formulations and provide exceptional customer service. Stay away from brands that make a lot of claims about their products but can’t back up those claims with third-party testing or positive reviews.
Third Party Tested Ingredients
A third-party testing facility will check a fiber product for diarrhea to see if it contains the ingredients that are listed on its labeling and at the doses that are outlined. This testing can also check for contaminants and banned substances. A reputable brand will provide these results to their client base without trying to hide anything.
Positive Customer Reviews and Ratings
Read the positive customer reviews and ratings that are listed on a website for a specific fiber supplement. If you’re looking for something that will help improve your diarrhea, check to see if people have commented on that specific symptom along with what they were able to achieve with using the product. You can also check for negative reviews, so you know what to expect in that regard as well.
The Bottom Line
Diarrhea is an uncomfortable and embarrassing condition that can cause you to be tethered to your bathroom for a certain amount of time. It’s ideal to not only treat these bouts of loose stools with a natural and effective product, but you’ll want to prevent future issues as well. The ultimate goal is to use a soluble fiber supplement for diarrhea to ensure your stools are firm and easy to pass. Many people experience better GI health overall when using the various fiber supplements for diarrhea that I’ve discussed in this article. Take a look through them again to determine which product and ingredients will work best for your specific symptoms and situation.
Tips for Success from the RD
If you are prone to diarrhea from certain foods, stress or illness, here are some of my helpful tips for preventing and treating diarrhea naturally.
- Limit the amount of high fiber foods that you’re eating for the time being.
- Reduce the amount of stress that you’re under. Stress can cause people to experience a variety of GI symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea and indigestion.
- You can try eating the BRAT diet to reset your gut and firm your stools. This includes a diet focused on bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.
- Don’t forget to stay hydrated if you have diarrhea and you’re waiting for your fiber-based diarrhea remedies to take effect. Diarrhea can not only cause you to become low on fluids, but it can affect your electrolyte levels as well. Make sure you’re adding some form of electrolytes to the fluids that you’re drinking whether it be a sports drink or liquid electrolyte add-in.
Will a Fiber Supplement Help with Diarrhea?
A fiber supplement will help with diarrhea as long as you’re consuming soluble fiber in the supplement that you’re taking. If you take the wrong type of product and you start to consume too much insoluble fiber, you could end up feeling a lot worse and the diarrhea could become more persistent.